Are you living in the Word? A true follower of Jesus both lives in the Word and lives out the Word. This Sunday I have the privilege to preach on 1 John 2:18-27, and the absolute necessity and importance of being people of the Word. Are you reading the Bible? Are you studying and memorizing the Bible?
What’s Your Plan?
If you don’t have a plan, I encourage you to go deep and go broad with the Bible. Make time for the Bible every day, so that it becomes a habit - an addiction even. There are many resources available to help you create a plan. We have compiled some of our favorite resources below to help you read through the Bible and memorize scripture.
Bible Reading Plans
The following are links to some really great Bible reading plans that you can follow online, through apps, or subscribe to via calendar and RSS feeds. Find one that works for you and start a plan today:
- ESV Bible Reading Plans
- Ligonier Bible Reading Plans
- Bible Gateway Reading Plans
- YouVersion Reading Plans
Here are a few books and apps that can help you get organized in memorizing scripture:
- The Joshua Code is a good little book on memorizing scripture. It includes 52 scripture verses every believer should know.
- Dr. Andy Davis has a free booklet available for download called "An Approach to Extended Memorization of Scripture"
- Fighter Verses is a website and app that you can download on your phone with weekly verses to memorize.
As you go deeper with the Bible, we recommend the New Bible Commentary from D.A. Carson to help with your study.
Additionally these surveys may be helpful in finding additional commentaries:
- Commentary and Reference Survey: A Comprehensive Guide to Biblical and Theological Resources from John Glynn
- New Testament Commentary Survey from D.A. Carson
- Old Testament Commentary Survey from Tremper Longman III
Lastly, a good study Bible can also help you go deeper in the Word, as they include notes and commentary that help you intepret and study scripture. We recommend the ESV Study Bible, but there are many different study bibles to choose from.